Wednesday 29 December 2010

Reflective Writing

Description
Hillmorton Primary School, in Warwickshire, where last week I performed in an afternoon show of Red Riding Hood Pantomime that I am touring in over this Christmas period. 




Initial Reflection
I felt slightly warn out and tired, but we'd had a really good show in the morning, which gave me a real buzz.  What was special about the first school on this day is that the teachers all joined in.  This had a lovely effect on the children and also added more laughs to my performance as some gags from my character can go over the children's head but the teachers laughed.  This made me feel stronger as a character and I enjoyed bouncing off the audiences reaction during the first performance.  We also got some really good feedback and lovely comments from the children and teachers which sent me on to the second school buzzing with happiness and feeling proud of what the cast and I have achieved. 
Before and during the show everything seemed to be normal, as good, as bad, and as indifferent as all the days on tour so far. After the show, whilst clearing down the children were heading home and one child approached me and said thank you.  She then asked a question which I did not expect coming from a young child.  She asked 'Do you enjoy performing in the Panto?'  In the 3 years I have performed in Pantomime no child has ever asked me that question, most questions are usually like "who were you?", and "who was the wolf?" etc etc.  This question really touched me, it especially had more of an effect coming from a child and it made me think!


List
  • Questioning
  • Happy
  • Buzzing
  • Tired
  • Exhausted
  • Happy Thoughts
  • Saw Smiling faces
  • Saw Excited Children
  • Pleased
  • Successful
  • Enjoyment Had By All
  • Puzzled
  • Deep in Thought


Evaluation
I feel both our performances went really well with no mistakes and we had great reactions from our audiences.  Both performance spaces worked well with our set and fitted perfectly. 
With the question asked after my second performance, it helped me to learn more about myself.  It really made me stop and think about it in depth.  I discovered more about myself and it helped me to realise a greater love for the performance side of my job.  I love bringing happiness and enjoyment to the audiences, putting smiles on children's faces and bringing panto to those who aren't always fortunate to see it.  I add a treat to peoples Christmases. 


What If
Well asking myself what could of happened makes me realise that I can be quite negative as I produce thoughts like:- The set could of fallen down, I could of forgotten my lines, or there could of been a power cut leaving us with no mics, sound or lights.  However knowing myself it's not that I'm negative but I am a worrier, sometimes fearing negative possibilities!  But when asking myself what I would like to happen then my thoughts took a more positive route.  It would be nice not to have one show where no children cry from being scared, it would be lovely to have every show where all the children shout so loud that you struggle to hear yourself think, it would be a great laugh if the teachers randomly got up and joined in with our dance routines on stage, it would be great to get a delivery of a new tour van as ours is that bad it freezes on the inside aswell!!


Another View
(Writing a view of a section of my day from a child in the audience)
Today at school I was all excited as we were having a special treat this afternoon.  We had a Pantomime visiting us.  I have never seen a Pantomime before, but my teacher had made it sound really exciting, and I was really looking forward to it.  I queued up to go in to the hall with all my friends, we were all excited and giggling with joy about what lies ahead.  We took a seat on the floor and it all looked magical, as if it was another world.  The music started and I sang along to Jingle Bells with my classmates.  I loved everything, it made me laugh and the Granny looked funny with her bright dress and blue hair.  I shouted out 'It's Moo Moo' as loud as I could when the ghost went past, I joined in the actions and clapped and danced in my seat.  Before I knew it it was all over but it had me feel extremely happy and I loved everything about it.  My first Pantomime was brilliant and I hope I get to see one again next year. 


Themes
I had a real meaningful day and this day has stuck out more than any other day on my tour of pantomime so far.  All the comments and feedback from both performances have made me even more enthusiastic about my tour and my love for performing.  I would not change a thing about this day, however what would make it more interesting for me would be to sit down after a show with the children in the audience and talk to them about their opinions and see and hear what they thought of the show.  This at present is a similarity to most days in my week and over the next 6 weeks on tour right the way through to mid-January.  However today has stuck in my mind having a bigger impact on me and taken a place in this course for me with the question that I was asked.  This is a question I would like to remember and perhaps ask myself when performing in the next job I undertake.  'Do you enjoy performing?'  This question makes me realise for me this is not just a job, but a dream come true and a passion which I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment