Monday 20 May 2013

Ethical Considerations before an inquiry


Before doing my inquiry I considered the ethics as they are always going to need to be considered and ethical implications avoided with every necessary precaution put in place previously.  Following a suitable and strict guideline of ethics within my study, will ensure that the results are reliable.  Research studies involving people carry.  My inquiry focuses on children therefore many rules and guidelines need to be sorted before it started.  

 

I need to ensure that all children taking part and each interviewee were not revealed, so I can protect the identities of each participant.  I need to consider ways to do this before writing up my results, for example could use letters, numbers or even a key to represent those involved but which stays confidential.  One of these methods could work to allow me to still express the findings. 

 

This process would insure all those willing to take part will remain confidential and anonymous.  Although I will reveal that the participants ages so the results will benefit the correct audience. 

 

I also need to consider if I use when gathering the research data was the vulnerability of this group of participants. If less than eighteen years of age I need to ensure consent is received by those responsible for them.   This could be achieved by sending letters or filling in forms.  It is not just the children who need to show consent but any adults need to understand what they are involved in. 

 

Making sure all those involved from the onset and kept up to date with the progress of the study is a key role to keep everyones trust and respect during the process.    

 

I also not only need to get permission from those involved but also those above me in charge of the place of study.  There is a hierarchy within the district and to have them understanding, supporting and giving permission is also vital for a successful project. 

 

In relation to all ethical considerations, I need to ensure these are all covered, prevented and protected before the inquiry starts to allow for a successful set of results.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment