Monday 14 May 2012

Critical reflection on Profession Practitioner Inquiry


Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry



Working my way through many elements of research, assessing existing knowledge and looking into research tools I have come to an Inquiry that is best suited to me and my working environment. 



To begin with I carefully considered my wide range of topic areas that I encounter each day within my working profession also considering how I would like to move forward.  An effective tool for me was starting with a brainstorm in which I branched out with initial thoughts and ideas I could pursue as my practitioner Inquiry.  With the initial feedback from colleagues and piers on my brainstorm my initial starting process had made a positive lead.  Taking this further, after learning from the reader to consider my existing knowledge as a tool for developing my lines of professional inquiry and how this can be developed not just to progress myself as a professional but also to benefit others within this profession.  Once I had my inquiry subject and proposed my award title I furthered my inquiry plan process by looking into the ethics that could be questioned when carrying out the inquiry.  This stage I found more difficult as although ethics surrounded me on a day to day basis it is not something, being self-employed, I have ever taken much thought over therefore I benefited from first blogging on what ethics actually were, so I could gain my own understanding on how they would be part of my inquiry.  Developing my own definition and understanding will help me further on through my inquiry process to adhere to ethical considerations.  As my Inquiry will take place in a school environment I needed to look in to code of conducts within schools to avoid any ethical issues causing problems for my inquiry and so I could plan and use tools that would be ethical.  To prepare myself for this I looked in to what is expected and followed as ethical boundaries to stand me a better stead when starting my inquiry. 



As part of preparation for my inquiry I found published articles that provided me with findings that related to my planned studies.  These show the development that dance has already made and can assist me in finding how development is continuing to grow.  I displayed via my blog key information that I took from specific web links that I used to develop my inquiry plans.  Also of benefit for the effects I am considering dance to have on children I have been informed of issues that could arise from further readings I looked into. 



With reference to tools that I can use I could have developed these further, looking at possibly interviewing the subjects of my inquiry however with the age I am focusing my inquiry on I felt with the effectiveness of streamlining my own questions surveys would be more conclusive to a strong set of findings. 



Overall I have effectively used my blog to publish my progress on my journey to developing my professional practitioner inquiry. 

1 comment:

  1. Emma just looking for updates to this blog? There are suggestions in the Handbook about blogs for Module 3... get in touch with your adviser for more advice. Bw

    ReplyDelete