Thursday 18 November 2010

Professional Communication Technologies

I have spent the last few hours reading and making notes on the course reader 'Professional Communication Technologies' and thought as my thoughts and ideas are still fresh in my mind I would write a blog on it for Task 1b. 

When I first started to read I was making links to the first campus session I attended where in groups we were asked the question 'How do web based technologies enhance professional practice?'  When approached with this question, we decided as a group, to define in our eyes what we believe web based technologies are.  This later led our discussions to how prominent and important they are becoming to our communications within our professional practice.  So I have already a few underlying thoughts and opinions on the context of the reader. 


After reading the course reader here's my developing of my thinking on a range of ideas , theories and issues raised.  The reader confirmed for me that technology is progressing and evolving day by day.  I look back now and realise many tools I use to use within my career and training were web 1.0 tools, which are a 1 to 1 or 1 to an audience interaction.  For example when I left college I sent emails and CVs to agents which is defined as a 1 to 1 basis, formal but without that personal interaction.  When I was at college for researching purposes I often used websites to find out information, which is information from creator to reader, again a 1 to 1 basis.  Now I have used Facebook for many years, which is a web 2.0 tool in the form of a social network, however it's only since I started this course I've realised how it can be used in relation to my professional career.  Each step I take with this course I realise how important web 2.0 tools are becoming in communication for my professional practice. 


As professional practitioners we are adapting to the changes of the ever growing Internet to incorporate them in our professions using web 2.0 tools.  Web 2.0 tools was defined in the reader as a second generation of web based technologies, these include Blogs, Search Engines, Social Networks etc.  These tools allows interaction between the creator and reader and for the reader to become the creator.  A huge benefit for me with the web 2.0 tools whilst on this BAPP course is that it can be accessed anywhere in the world.  It's a tool acting as a platform.


I learnt in the reader that Tim O'Reilly created a 'Meme' which underlines 3 main concepts that centre on users and creators for web 2.0 tools. 


Architecture of Participation
This is web 2.0 tools enabling and encouraging participation.  Participation has a key role with the evolving of the Internet as it provides the ability for people to interact, sharing their views, opinions and knowledge.  It encourages people to network socially and helps websites to constantly evolve.  This is what I have already discovered for myself since starting the BAPP course with creating a Blog.  However, already through my journey on this course I have experienced this can not always be as easy as it seems. 


               "Participation is a function, in part, of the reduction of barriers to access
              and that an increase in participation can contribute to the successful building of
                relationships and the democratisation of media" (Hamilton, 2000, Course Reader
             Professional Communication Technologies)


This is very true as I discovered at the start of the course, when I was delayed due to a lack of Internet connection and a laptop that had crashed.  These are issues that can easily get in the way of web 2.0 tools. 


Remixable Data and Transformations
This is web 2.0 tools remixing the culture and materials by different users and rearranged for a new purpose.  It's millions of users sharing photos, texts and music.  This leads to the concept of 'Produsage' which is participation as both a producer and a consumer.  Produsage equals content by a wide community, merges professional and amateur backgrounds and it will always be unfinished, continually being developed.  This is like my blog, as although I started this for my BAPP course, I can see how this can continue to progress and evolve enhancing my career. 


Harness Collective Intelligence
This is web 2.0 tools allowing communities to develop beyond their 'exisiting professional networks'.  It builds on the social network encouraging interaction on a world wide scale.  Web 2.0 tools facilitate debates, discussions and critical reflection.  It's social systems, intelligent search engines and it relies on the users intelligence, thoughts and knowledge to continue to improve and continue to evolve. 


After reading this reader it has cleared up and created new thoughts and ideas on how beneficial web 2.0 tools can be to me in my professional communication within my career.   I am really feeling the benefits of the blog already with others commenting and helping me to improve and learn new things.  It's great meeting others within different roles and communicating through web 2.0 tools, and I'm looking forward to continue commenting on others blogs and seeing how mine develops. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma How R u? and how r u finding the course? i missed the professional session did i did i miss alot?

    ReplyDelete