Friday 11 May 2012

My Developments to find my Inquiry topic

To start with I brainstormed all thoughts in my head that I had relation to that could be incorporated in to my very own inquiry.  Here is a photo (blogged again!) of this brainstorm as I struggled to create the Brainstorm on the laptop!!




After getting all my thoughts and ideas down on paper I needed to look at the route I wanted to take next and what knowledge I want to use and what I want to learn more in.  I have many years of performing within Dance and now wish to take my knowledge and interest in to teaching to pass on what I have learnt and the enjoyment I get from dancing and performing to others.  Now looking at my own brainstorm I could of taken one particular path but as my interests have always been in dance and I now wish to take them further in teaching dance then I feel it would be best to incorporate both dance and teaching together for my inquiry. 

After this decision had been made my next step was to get involved in discussions, putting it out there to learn from others in the area of dance and teaching and read thoughts, opinions and others knowledge on the topic to help me find my specific line of Inquiry.  Although I know I want to incorporate dance and teaching there are still many different lines of Inquiry which this could follow and I need to find the best for me with what interests me most and that I can use within my workplace. 

Now I didn't start my own specific Special Interest Group as at the time there were many discussions in place that already took a similar line that I wanted to start, so rather than adding another to the list I joined in discussions that I could link to. 

Many discussions talked about dance in schools and how it has developed, but also how dancers struggle to get jobs as teachers although trained and worked in the profession for years however teachers are able to teach dance although are not as experienced.  Discussions also looked at

As I have said, knowing my interest has always been in Dance and with the training and career I have had so far, I now want to take this further in to my furture as I wish to pursue my skills in the form of teaching. Now with these 2 interest, I wish to continue with an inquiry that incorporates the two. Now being involved in discussions I have started to see teaching under the bracket of 'Education'. Now with dance in education developing constantly I could look at the rate, or how it could continue growing and developing and these benefits. However part of the teaching aspects that interest myself is my own knowledge and skills I can pass on to children.  Looking at the children in the world of education and learning dance within schools we could always consider how it would benefit them.

After attending one of the campus sessions for this module, we discussed peoples ideas of what they thought they would be following for their line of inquiry.  I advised I was looking at a possible inquiry title of 'The Benefits of Dance within Education'.  As this thought was discussed among the group it was believed that it incorporated my workplace, my knowledge and a way for this to move forward in an inquiry, however it was bought to my intention that with this specific title it already implies that there are definitely benefits to having Dance within education. 

After the group discussion, pulling everything together from myself, from the SIG's and from the discussions at campus sessions I set on thinking about other ways to consider the advantages and disadvantages of having dance within education but without implying the outcomes in the title before I know them. 

So new ideas I then came up with were along the lines of simply saying 'Dance within Education', 'Dance in Education'  This title shows what I am looking into, but allows me to start open minded and not imply any results until the inquiry is completed and a conculusion is found.  Another idea is 'The effects of Dance within Education'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment